Thursday, June 18, 2009

Alice Tumuhairwe

Today, I took some pictures of Alice out in the yard - which, in some places, is more like a jungle. Well, to a person who is only about 16 inches high... it would be a jungle. =]
This is a little basket that I got on my trip to South Carolina! It is handmade (the same way it's been made for hundreds of years in Africa) from Sweetgrass which is native to Africa.
A couple nights ago I made Alice this outfit out of a small rectangle of fabric that I had in my scrap bag. It is cotton homespun with absolutely no seams or hems or anything. I simply just folded, wrapped and tucked. =]
back view
The scarf on her head is just a long rectangle folded so the raw edges don't show. I brought it from behind her head, tied it once on top and then laid both ends over the back and tucked them in the bottom and Voila! An African ladies attire.
This is the piece of yellow yarn (that she usually wears on her head) tied on like an arm band. She decided for today that simple seemed suitable. =]
Here are some pictures that inspire me. I've always loved traditional African dress. It's so colorful and exciting! Although most of these pictures are black and white. hmm... Oh well.
Sometime I'd like to make some African Jewelry for Alice!
Have a happy day!
Love, Marguerite

3 comments:

Anna Kristine said...

These pictures are so beautiful and Alice is simply stunning in them! Goodness...now I want African clothes.
~Cora

SisterlyLove said...

Thanks Cora! I had such fun taking these pictures! It was a perfect day!
~Marguerite

CivilWarDancer said...

It looks like you have had a lot of fun!
I LOVE AFRICA! The cultural dress is also a lot of fun! :)
~ Sarah